Woo can finally blog about another finished item! Waaay back I saw the pattern for Maddy, and totally loved it. It’s very very pretty! So I spent a while figuring out what yarn I was going to use instead (Because Silk is expensive!!), put it on my Christmas list, and promptly forgot all about it. So when I did receive said yarn for Xmas it took me a while to figure out what it was for (good thing I have a Ravelry queue!! Luckily I did, and I also got to cast on using my new KnitPicks Harmony Needles too (ooh they are lovely to knit with!)
So a quick run down of pattern info:
Yarn: South West Trading Company (SWTC) Soy Silk – Sapphire (pic below)
Needle size: 4 mm
Size: The size given in pattern, luckily it’s pretty much my size 🙂
I was pretty worried about casting on with this yarn actually, because I’d had a quick read on Ravelry about the yarn and it seems to have a lot of drape, some FO’s got really long! I just had to hope that the fact that I have a really tight gauge would help me in this. I met stitch gauge, but was roughly half an inch off the row count. So with a bit of trepidation I cast on.
I was also a bit worried as to how complex the pattern would be, even though the designer does mention that all the numbers make more sense once your knitting, its a bit scary. But I have to agree once I’d started knitting, it did make a lot more sense. 🙂
The actual knitting for this went, for the most part, reasonably quickly, and the actual pattern was a fun knit. I cannot say the same for the yarn.
I don’t think I ever really want to knit with this stuff again. The first ball I used had about 5 breaks in it, this stuff is expensive it really shouldn’t have breaks in it! And then, I think because of the way I knit or something, but the yarn twisted as I knitted, which was incredibly annoying. I actually found myself wishing there was a break in the 2nd and 3rd balls, just so that I could get rid of some of the twists more easily instead of yelling in despair at the yarn! I suppose I could have cut it….
Anyway, because I knew I didn’t meet row gauge I added another 2 rows of lace pattern to the bottom. I figured that the top is going to get longer once it’s blocked anyway and I didn’t want something that’s almost a dress!
So here is the top, before blocking – well I say blocking, I don’t really need to block it as it fitted fine, and because its knitted in the round I don’t need to do any seeming, BUT you can blatantly see where the new balls of yarn join. I have to get this wet to get the colour to run a bit.
Isn’t it lovely!? And actually it’s quite long! I probably didn’t need to add the extra 2 rows of lace, but eh! 🙂
I also learned something about photography (or at least about getting better pictures of me) just now too.. Compare the above picture with this one:
There’s less hip definition in the second one… which means that if I want to make sure I have better pictures of me, I should not put my hands on my hips!
Anyway top is lovely! And I’m suddenly wondering if I could perhaps wear it to a friends wedding.. (assuming I can’t find a good dress, and assuming I find a nice skirt to wear with it!) Although said wedding is in March, but I am knitting a cardigan for that.. soo, heh I think it would be too much pressure to do a skirt as well! 😛